One Small Change

>> Saturday, January 2, 2010






I have decided to join Hip Mountain Mama on her journey to make the world a better place.  I am very nervous excited about the next several months, as there are many things that I have wanted to change but never really faced a reason to change them.  Now I have been challenged and I am thrilled!

During the month of January, I am determined to rid our home of PLASTIC BOTTLES and never bring one into the house again!  I know this will be a difficult task because it goes so much farther than water bottles.  Think about it- how many plastic bottles (or plastic items that are thrown away) do you have in your home?  As I rid our home of plastic bottles, I will count as I go.  I think we will both be surprised at the number I reach!

I will STOP purchasing bottles of water.  This is a ridiculous expense in our home.  Oftentimes the bottles are thrown away with the water still in them!  Such a great amount of waste!  We have a few bottles left and I will be sure that the water is consumed and the bottles are recycled.  After that, NO MORE!!!

Laundry detergent- I will switch to powder since it comes in a paper box and I will try to find one without a plastic handle.  Any suggestions from the more earth conscious crowd?

Pancake Syrup- I prefer maple syrup to pancake syrup, so we will purchase it instead, since it comes in a glass bottle and I can easily find uses for glass bottles around the house.

Soft Drinks- Will be purchased in glass bottles or cans (would prefer to not purchase them at all, but I that is a battle that I will lose!)

Household Cleaning Supplies- Here I am at a loss.  How do I avoid this one?

Shampoo, Conditioner, Etc.- I think I may need some guidance!!!!

I am determined to make a change.  What will you do?

(See what others are doing by clicking on the link to Hip Mountain Mama's blog at the beginning of this post.)


3 comments:

Hip Mountain Mama January 2, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

This is such a great start to the challenge. This one sounds like a difficult one and I look forward to hearing how it goes. Very inspirational and a change I may have to look into also as the months progress.
Thanks for joining the challenge!!
Suzy

kate January 3, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

Hi Cary....here's a link to some suggestions for making your own cleaning products: http://www.blisstree.com/treehuggingfamily/25-safe-non-toxic-homemade-cleaning-supplies/.

It not only cuts down on plastic-- but expense and chemicals in the home. I also really like the book "Make Your Place," and there are loads of good books out about making your own beauty products too. While it does take a wee bit of time, it is so much cheaper (and kind of fun too)....

Amanda @ mammajoy January 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

We like the odd purchased bottle of water as well, and it's hard to avoid sometimes but you've inspired me a little to give it a go!

Post a Comment

I want minimum information given with maximum politeness. -Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP