Word of the Year: CREATE

>> Sunday, December 27, 2009

I have given a lot of thought to what I want to do with this blog.  Having been inspired by Julie & Julia to use my blog as a place to hold a challenge, I have decided that the coming year is the year that I will challenge myself to use my creativity to be more frugal.

My husband and I have already discussed the fact that we have to be more careful about how we spend our money.  I am a spender.  I love the comfort and security that I find in making purchases.  And, in my thirtieth year on this earth, it is time for me to find comfort and security in my own abilities instead.  (Don't you think?)

Having just purchased a home at the beach, we are faced with furnishing and decorating an entire home from scratch.  I know that I am creative enough to make quilts for the beds and curtains for the windows.  I can paint and sew and hammer and nail and I need to use my creativity to save our family's money during the decorating process.

I can find creative ways to save money.  I can make gifts and cards instead of purchasing them.  It will take planning and persistence, but I can do it.

I can make my own coffee instead of relying on McDonald's and Starbucks.  I can sew myself a new purse instead of buying a pricey one.  I can cook more instead of eating out so much.  I can read the books I already have and borrow the books that I don't have.

I can do this.

I was inspired by Lisa Leonard's Word of the Year Necklace.  I will make this necklace my last purchase of the year and wear it everyday to remind me that there are alternatives to spending.

I have boxes and boxes of dishes in the attic that are beautiful, but unused.  Why not take them to the beachhouse?  We have a bed that is unused.  Let's refinish it and take it to the beachhouse.  Let's find a way to use every single object in our home and if we come across something that absolutely cannot be used, let's sell it or give it away.

I accept this challenge.  Would you care to join me?

1 comments:

Kelly@TearingUpHouses December 28, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

absolutely! i concur!

kelly

p.s. thanks for your (very nice) comment on my guest post today on brooklyn limestone.

Post a Comment

I want minimum information given with maximum politeness. -Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP