The 3 Budgeteers: Hubs, Myself & My Conscience

>> Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hubs likes for me to tell him how much I think I need to spend.  My conscience needs to be told how much to spend.  And I just want to spend, spend, spend!

The first time we met with the interior designer, she told us she would have a plan for us the first week of January.  I expected storyboards chock full of furniture photos, fabrics, paint swatches, etc.  But, when we received the email, there was none of the above.

I am a very visual person.  I need to see it before it happens and I need a plan.  I am a planner.  I love the process of planning.  I suck at making decisions, but I love the process of making them!

Needless to say, I was disappointed. but I felt like she "got" me and my ideas, so I didn't let myself get too upset.  I met with her again and she brought lots of catalogs and a few fabrics AND THAT WAS IT.

AARGH!!!  Frustration!  And those catalogs!  There are NO prices, just pictures- she'll "have to get back to me on the prices".  Well, that's not good enough for me, because then I will set my heart on it only to get an email letting me know that the lamp (not lamps) is $500.00.

Of course it is.  I love it.

After that meeting, I decided to do it myself.  I sat down at the computer, decided what I wanted, added up a ballpark total cost and presented it to the hubster.

And he approved it.  And added in a little wiggle room.  Yay!

Now it's on to the fun part- finding places to cut costs so that I can have a little "cushion" to fall back on.

I told you in an earlier post that I decided to make a lot of the items myself.  Things like wall art, curtains and pillows I can make; and I can repurpose furniture and even lamps to cut costs.

Over the next few days, I will share with you an in-depth look at the plan for each room and the areas where I hope to cut costs.  I will share some projects and ideas.  Hopefully you will enjoy them and be able to use them yourself!

What would you cut?  On what would you splurge?

Cary K.


laylablue February 8, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

cut costs-artwork make your own and make it as inspiration comes
be willing to live with bare walls until you feel a piece is necessary

splurge: sturdy furniture that could have multiple options with slipcovers--for washing or on a whim when you want a change

Post a Comment

I want minimum information given with maximum politeness. -Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP